Sunday, July 24, 2016

Good Comics I Read This Week

I'm planning on writing about the best comics I read that week. I read new comics, older comics, and would like to talk about one's that are just too good to not want to at least share with others.



The first two issues of Satellite Falling have me already in love with this comic. I am glad to be starting with this comic at the very beginning. Steve Horton is the writer and they do a great job of crafting an interesting story and an environment that takes place on a satellite called in which the main character Lilly, tired of living on earth after a loved one dies along with all the racism, xenophobia, and corruption that does pretty much ruin the planet at times. She lives on a satellite inhabited by aliens with very few humans. It's a mixture of sci-fi, crime fiction, and action as Lilly tries to escape her past and tries to make a living for herself in her new place.

The artwork by Stephen Thompson, known for their work with Star Wars comics although I haven't checked them out yet but I love Thompson's art with this comic. As much as I like the story, the artwork is what I love more than anything. I love the detail of the environments and characters, the coloring, it really is just amazing. With all the comics I've been getting into lately, I really like the artwork of Satellite Falling the best.



I finally got to check out Hench Girl, issue #4 and I loved it. The peculiar world of Mary Posa in Crepe City is too hilarious. In this issue she has to deal with the complexities of being a villain and having to steal her roommates security key to get inside a building and their friends want her to go to meet some super hero's which is a bit awkward for her since they are her parents and sister. I'm not sure why she doesn't try to be a super hero since her family works in that department but maybe it doesn't pay as well as being a villain. There are still a bunch of this comic at my local comic shop and I might have to get as many as I can.



I wrote a review of Black Hammer #1 a few days ago but it should definitely still be on this list of awesome comics that I read this week. In the first issue the story is set up so perfectly even with all the characters in it. I also loved the artwork in this from Dean Ormston. There is kind of an autumn season vibe with the colors with it that I like and I can't wait to see what actually happened with Black Hammer since he is not in the first issue. 



I love Bitch Planet #1. I am already trying to get all the issues that I can with this comic. A good mixture of dystopian science fiction, sexism, the prison industry, and people who don't fit in with societal pressures. This first issue was great on a lot of levels. The creepiness and how deranged a sexist patriarchy could actually be, the variety of characters, and the hilarious made up ads make this just a great well-rounded comic in so many ways.



Wonder Woman #2 is another one that I wrote a review for earlier. I will probably just write reviews for comics that I really like and talk about them still since I'm still consumed by them. If you haven't read this issue you, you totally should! I am so glad this comic comes out every two weeks, especially with how there are two story lines going back and forth.



I also got to finally check out Faith, issue #1. I will probably add it to my pull list. I love how this is a super hero that is so realistic and shows a more accurate portrayal of how a super hero's life maybe would be like. Getting a peak at all kinds of aspects of her life is what makes this comic so special. She is a super hero, living in a new city, has friends, some of which are her co-workers at her boring day job and a couple of them also happen to know that she is a super hero even though she tries to keep the two separated. I also thought it was hilarious when her friend who knows about her secret identity brings up how she could have a better looking super hero outfit even though she thinks it looks nice. She is probably the first super hero who is relatable in a lot of ways since she deals with all kinds of silly, random, awkward social situations like most people. I also really like that there is a super hero that is not a size 0 or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment