Monday, September 12, 2016

Glitterbomb #1 Review



I liked this first issue of Glitterbomb, written by Jim Zub whose other current projects include Wayward, Thunderbolts, and Dungeons & Dragons. He also wrote Skullkickers. I am a bit worried Glitterbomb will become too sexualized with the characters, one or two of the variant covers seems like they might be going down that path and one or two frames but I really hope it doesn't. If they do so, it will ruin it for me for sure. I want to wait and see what the second issue is like before I really know if this is worth following or not but for the most part this first issue was good.

The story is about Farrah, an actor trying to get more acting work and dealing with the Hollywood industry. It reminds me a bit too much of the theatre industry which is a bit of a downer but it does show both in the same way in how they are filled with scumbags that mistreat others. Hopefully I am not constantly reminded of how the theatre world is and why I have been taking a break from it for a while and can just enjoy this comic, lol. I do love how Farrah takes care of people trying to screw her over even if it is a bit extreme in that moment in which she seems to have no control over once someone has passed that personal boundary of hers. This comic also kind of reminds me of Kill Or Be Killed in which the one's getting killed are horrible human beings that maybe had it coming. This is definitely more horror filled though and I love how this person takes care of assholes. I am curious to know how she got this power exactly. It's definitely intriguing and so far, has something to do with water which has me completely clueless at this point. I also like how Farrah has a kid and work to deal with while she is dealing with this crazy tongue of hers. I like the combination of realism and everyday life along with this fantastical set up. It's one of the things that makes me like Plutona a lot too even though that is slightly less realistic than Glitterbomb.

The artwork is really great too. Djibirl Morissette-Phan did the artwork and colors by K. Michael Russell. I read somewhere that Morissette-Phan was into making the environments a bit off like showing the sky in different colors and whatnot and I think it compliments the story line very well with how messed up this world is. Someone mentioned how they were hooked by the second page and I can see how. The artwork and scene on the second page is just perfect. The first two pages show you where this is going in as short a time as possible and just how fucked up and crazy this comic is going to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment