Tuesday, October 18, 2016

He-Man Thundercats #1 Review



He-Man Thundercats #1
Publisher: DC
Writers: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
Art: Freddie Williams
Colors: Jeremy Colwell

Rating: 8

This is a fun comic. I found out about this happening the day before it came out and I was skeptical but I had to at least check it out. Also, if my eight year old self ever knew that this would happen at some point in the future and that my 21st century self didn't get it, that kid would be so pissed. If this comic had come out when I was eight years old, it probably would have gotten me into comics a lot sooner. And googling the cover I found that He-Man did team up with the Thundercats once before along with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and G.I. Joe which is a bit overkill but maybe it turned out pretty good as well.

I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable this comic was. It's only going to be a series of six issues and the story looks fun. Mumm-Ra because he's kind of a dolt is never able to get the sword of omens but the higher ups in his creepy pyramid thing want him to instead get a weapon that is supposedly even more powerful, He-Man's sword of power. That's what it's called? Kind of bland but whatever. Somehow dimensions get kind of screwy and Third Earth ends up landing on He-Man's planet and Mumm-Ra tries to get the sword. I don't want to get too into the story but it's cool that the Thundercats and He-Man and his friends are going to join forces. And going by the cover that I chose, the one with the villains (there were at least a few, the good people, the villains, and a coloring book version) it looks like all the villains from both worlds are going to get together too.

Another couple of things that I like about this book is that they don't treat women like sex objects. I really cannot stand how difficult it is to find a comic series that doesn't do that. There is Teela, Cheetara, and Evylin and they are not depicted in a lame way. It's kind of surprising too because when I was little, the little He-Man comics that came with the toys would show women in such an objectifying way and considering they were marketed to little kids, it was really freaking disturbing. I'm glad they cut that out for this series or at least with this first issue.

The other thing that I like about this comic is that the artwork is insanely phenomenal. Williams and Colwell did such a great job with all the characters and environments. I haven't seen any other comic yet with this attention to detail and it really is just amazing. The nuances with almost everything is just great.

It's also fun to see so many of the characters again from both worlds. Especially so with the characters from He-Man that were kind of minor or that I forgot about. Fisto is there, Man-E-Faces, freaking Ram Man is there! And the characters from both worlds are drawn in their 80's incarnations which is the best thing of all. The characters are also true to the original cartoons which is good.

The only thing that is a bit difficult to believe with the story, more so than that both worlds would collide somehow is that Skeletor looks to be stronger than Mumm-Ra. Skeletor is such an idiot, the suspension of disbelief is pushing it a bit too much for that. It's like saying Gargamel could beat Mumm-Ra or something.

I am happy that this comic has come out though. It's definitely a nice trip down memory lane and interesting that it's coming out within the few months of me just getting into comics.


No comments:

Post a Comment